Could you mentor a young person who is struggling to cope?

Could you mentor a young person who is struggling to cope?

Hampshire County Council
Young people don’t always find growing up easy. For a small minority of teenagers, this can lead to conflict in their family, and even to family breakdowns that require Children’s Services to intervene.

Some of these young people need a trustworthy, impartial adult to talk to about their worries. That’s why Hampshire County Council is looking for volunteers to mentor a young person aged 14 to 17, for a few hours a week. We are particularly looking for more men, to mentor teenage boys.

Young people who are finding things difficult may have various professionals working with them, but often, having someone impartial to talk to can make a crucial difference to self esteem and engagement. By getting involved, you are telling the young person that they are not alone, and that someone wants to help them.

Tony, a current volunteer with the scheme, says: “I’m in my sixties now, so it’s a long time since my children were young, and I have never worked with young people. This scheme was a completely new experience for me, and I did feel some apprehension about meeting the young lad I was matched to. But actually, it’s your personal experience that you draw on, in this role – it’s not so much about your professional background.

“The training is very good, and there’s always support on hand if you need advice after a visit. I’ve found I really can make a difference to the boy I work with. He has faced a lot of challenges growing up, and he needed a role model, but he’s doing better now. My outlook on life seems to rub off on him. I am helping him to realise that he’s actually got a lot to offer the world, and that it’s important to build relationships with his family.”

Andy, another volunteer, says: "In the voluntary sector, there can be fewer men, which is a shame because the young people in our community benefit from female and male role models. Being a role model for young people feels rewarding, and I enjoy providing support and guidance. If more men were to sign up to volunteer, they could make a lasting positive impact."

Mentoring usually includes a combination of face-to-face meetings, talking to the young person on the phone, and attending activities with them. All volunteers will be given full training. Volunteering can be a very rewarding experience and could help you to obtain new skills and keep active. For some, it can even lead to a new career.

For more information please email your name and contact details to innovation.volunteers@hants.gov.uk.  If there are several people in a Men’s Shed group that are interested in becoming involved, we would be glad to send a Volunteer Co-ordinator out to your group to explain the scheme.