Does your Shed want Internet Access?

Steve Redrup (Portsmouth)
This post was updated on .
Mobile Wifi Option from Three

Portsea Men's Shed is based in rooms behind St. George's Church with No Internet Access

We recently purchased a Mobile 4G WiFi Device with 12GB of data which is valid for 12 Months

The cost of this (including the WiFi Device) was £79.99

Once the data or the 12 month period has run out a new loaded SIM can be purchased for £30

This is an ideal option for us as the church has no phone line.
Also once the data is used you just need to buy a new SIM with 12GB data allowance.
No unexpected costs and if the shed moves or has an event where we require internet access
we can just take the device with us.

As well as general internet access for the members we are also planning a Technical Drop-In
Workshop were we can help or train people is technical aspects, be them Phone, Tablet, PC or Software

For any other sheds that may be interested:
Click here to view the Three Website Page for this package

Re: Does your Shed want Internet Access?

Eddiewj

It will be interesting to see just how long 12GB lasts in a Mans Shed environment?

One great usage (usually hidden i.e. not realised) is software loaded on connected users devices (computers, tablets, phones etc) seeking routine updates as well as members queries..

Reports on Portsea Man's Shed Internet facility usage/costs etc would be welcome.

Regards all Eddie Jenner WMS

On 19 January 2017 at 15:48 "Steve Redrup (Portsmouth) [via Southern Men's Shed Network Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://southern-men-s-shed-network-forum.2354376.n4.nabble.com/Does-your-Shed-want-Internet-Access-tp155.html
To start a new topic under General Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Southern Men's Shed Network Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: Does your Shed want Internet Access?

Steve Redrup (Portsmouth)
Hi Eddie,

You  are right about the potential for large amounts of data being used by apps/programs/operating systems
to perform downloads and updates in the background.
There are ways to reduce this but not eliminate it completely.
I will be putting together a list of things people can do to reduce this load and will post a copy here when it's done.

I also intend producing a weekly updated chart of the data remaining, which would also give an idea of the data used and the likely time in which it would run out.
I could also post that on say a monthly basis if that would be of interest.

Regards,

Steve Redrup.

Re: Does your Shed want Internet Access?

Eddiewj

Thanks Steve. Yes any data or information on problems which surface would be appreciated. WMS will be discussing the matter at their AGM at the end of Feb.

Regards Eddie Jenner WMS

http://southern-men-s-shed-network-forum.2354376.n4.nabble.com/Does-your-Shed-want-Internet-Access-tp155p157.html
To start a new topic under General Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Southern Men's Shed Network Forum, click here.
NAML

Does your Shed want Internet Access - Update

SMS Network Coordinator
Administrator
Hi Eddie,

We have had our Mobile Wi-Fi device for only a couple of weeks now and our usage is only small.

We are only open 3 mornings a week and the device has probably only been used for maybe 4 hours each week.

At present we have 1 Desktop PC (Windows 7) connected and up to 4 personal devices (Phones and Tablets) so our usage is still low, but may increase as we get more interest.

12GB may not seem like a lot but that equates to 250MB per week and therefore if you watch what you are using it for e.g. No videos just web browsing, email and some workshop / training type activities then I think that you will find this reasonably adequate.

If the data runs out before the 12 months then another 12GB SIM can be bought for £30 so even if each SIM only lasted you 6 months (500MB per week) I still think that is good value.

I have attached a chart (so far) and a brief guide to help reduce the amount of data used.
I hope you find this useful.

I will be bringing the device with me to the next SMS Network Meeting (6th March) if anyone is interested.

PortseaWiFiTips.pdf

PortseaDataGraph.pdf

Stephen Redrup (SMSN Co-ordinator)

Re: Does your Shed want Internet Access - Update

Eddiewj
Hi Steve
Thank you for the info. and two docs. I believe you had an setup cost, one off, at about 80UKP
I have noticed that the Three 12Gb Simms are available on line but cheaper than Three charge.
Can you advise which MiFi unit Three have supplied to you please? Again there are MiFi units under 30UKP available.
I am thinking that one should be able to put together a similar system to one Three have supplied you with but at less setup and running costs.
Regards Eddie Jenner WMS

http://southern-men-s-shed-network-forum.2354376.n4.nabble.com/Does-your-Shed-want-Internet-Access-tp155p167.html
NAML

Re: Does your Shed want Internet Access - Update

SMS Network Coordinator
Administrator
Hi Eddie,

The device we have is a Huawei E5573.
This was included in the initial £80 set up with the sim.
Buying together saved about £10 on the device (see link on original post).

I have noticed cheaper Three sims elsewhere since buying the device (e. g. MyMemory are selling it for £22.99).
How others are able to sell it for less than Three, I do not understand.

As for the device : yes there are cheaper ones but this model can access 4G data (which in theory can be up to 10 times faster than 3G, if you have it available in your area. We do.  ). Worth checking the Three site for network coverage of your location.
The device also allows up to 10 connections at the same time whereas some of the other devices only allow 4 or 5.
If you do buy an alternative device then make sure it is unlocked.
Like phones bought on contract it can be locked to a specific network other than Three.

I hope this helps.

Let me know what your Shed decide and how you get on.

Regards,

Steve.
Stephen Redrup (SMSN Co-ordinator)