General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

Terry_Hoy
Hi, what is needed if any to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in regard to the collection of members names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses?
My son has told me that we should be doing something about it, but what?
Regards Terry

Re: General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

Roger Evans
Here at Andover Mens Shed, if we send an email to all members, then we will address the email to ourself, and send the email to the members as a BCC - blind carbon copy.
However, our thinking is that as a member of our shed, and that the member has given us their email address, then we presume they are willing to receive emails from the shed management.
We have written to ever member and given them the opportunity to have their details removed from our database should they do wish.
As far as telephone numbers and addresses go, we used to send a copy of our membership list to every paid up member. Now if a member needs to contact another via letter, phone or email, they contact a committee member who then contacts the Intended recipient and passes on the contact details of the requester for them to be able to make contact.
Oh my goodness, this is sounding complicated, but that's how we intend to comply!
None of us are solicitors, lawyers or trained shed managers, we do our best to comply with everything and sometimes we win sometimes we fail! I hope we will win on this one!

Roger Evans
Vice Chsirman,
Andover Mens Shed

Re: General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

Terry_Hoy
Thanks for your reply Roger, I think every thing you have said is true, and the only thing I would add, would be to have a Privacy Statement that outlines what data you collect, where you keep it, who can use it.
In respect to phone numbers we have a small friendly membership (14), and nearly all members have exchanged their numbers directly with their fellow members.

I'm a neighbourhood watch coordinator for my road, and have just had a call from my neighbourhood association chairman about GDPR, seems that the ICO for the GDPR are being inundated with calls of this nature, and their take at present seems to be get signed agreements in respect to privacy from all your members.

Terry Hoy (Treasurer)
HAMESH Mens Shed
Havant

Re: General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

Bob Porter
At Waterlooville Men's Shed we have always collected name, address, phone number, emergency contact number, email address and age.
Members can choose whether they wish to share any or all of the information.
Only emergency numbers are available at the Shed should someone fall ill or be hurt.
Any other data is held centrally (by the Secretary) on a data base.
Emailed newsletters and other communications are always sent BCC.
If a member wishes to contact another the request is fed through the secretary who obtains permission to share their contact information before doing so.
Our data policy is available on our website at:
www.waterloovillemensshed.org.uk
Bob Porter (Waterlooville Men's Shed)