New funding initiative from South Western Railway

New funding initiative from South Western Railway

SMS Network Coordinator
Administrator
I Recently Received an Email from South Western Trains about a New Funding Initiative.

I have already given Mark Youngman a list of Shed Contact Details (from our website) but this is for the benefit of anyone subscribed to our forum and newsletter.

Email from Mark Youngman (South Western Railway)

When considering who might be interested in CCIF, it occurred to me in that in a number of ways the Men’s Shed groups were an ideal type of group who might be interested in the opportunities from CCIF

This included offering to work with our existing groups to produce things such as planters for display at or on stations, to the work they do in providing a forum for men to chat. Similarly, having already contacted a number of Men’s Sheds groups across our network, I’ve found they are also a conduit for other groups – away from the railway who might have an idea for increasing the link to the railway which ultimately CCIF is designed to achieve.

Good afternoon

I am the manager for South Western Railway’s new Customer and Communities Improvement Fund (CCIF).  The fund which will be launched in Summer 2019 will be looking to support schemes and projects across the many communities we serve, which meet a community or social need as well as showing a link to the railway.

Whilst the main application process will be launched formally towards the end of June we currently letting as many organisations know of CCIF in advance so you can start to develop your ideas in readiness to submit bids into the CCIF fund in a few months’ time.  The list below shows the categories of projects we will be looking for, having shown evidence too of how they meet and address particular need identified in the community or a wider social need and can demonstrate a link to the South Western Rail Network.

As you will see it is a broad list.  So, if you have any ideas you want to share with us before the application process opens, please do drop me a line and I will be more than happy to discuss your ideas with you.

Educational

Educational programmes for the community which could deliver safety education, provide railway experience, or increase awareness of local public transport.

Outreach

Providing assistance to groups who may feel unable to use train services as part of daily life, to reduce social isolation and provide access to new opportunities.

Promotion / Information Provision

Promoting train services, improving wayfinding or information to customers.

Research

Surveys or studies to show ways to increase social inclusion, support diversity and promote rail use.

Disused Buildings

Bringing back into use a building, on or near the station, for the benefit of the community.

History and Heritage

Enriching the community through developing historic links with the South Western network.

Station Enhancements

Providing non building enhancements to a station that will benefit the local community.

Cycling

Encouraging the use of cycles within the local community, or as a means of sustainable transport to and from the railway station. Examples include (but are not limited to) additional cycle parking at or near stations and dedicated cycle paths.

Walking

Promoting walking links to and from stations and providing new footpaths that encourage further use of the railway.

Public Transport Integration

Encouraging integration between public transport modes.   (e.g. bus, community transport)

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Many thanks

Mark

Mark Youngman

Customer and Communities Improvement Fund Manager

South Western Railway

Address: 4th Floor, South Bank Central, 30 Stamford Street, London, SE1 9LQ

Mobile: 07970 251899  Email: mark.youngman@swrailway.com

www.southwesternrailway.com

Stephen Redrup (SMSN Co-ordinator)

Invitation to apply for SWR’s Customer and Communities Improvement Fund

SMS Network Coordinator
Administrator
Invitation to apply for SWR’s Customer and Communities Improvement Fund

We are delighted to be inviting bids for the first round of our Customer and Communities Improvement Fund (CCIF).  There is £5.3 million available, with £100k specifically for the Isle of Wight, to support projects that support our communities, address areas of social need all the time showing a link to the SWR network

Applications can be made through an easy to follow application form, supported by a guidance booklet available on our website  https://southwesternrailway.com/ccif

As this is our first round of funding for the main network, and second round for the Isle of Wight, we anticipate that the fund will be hotly contested but we want to hear of as many ideas as possible.  We really hope you have something to put forward and please do tell your friends and contacts about CCIF too.

The guidance booklet sets out the types of applications we are seeking, as well as giving some information on those ideas we would find difficult to support.  Funding is only initially guaranteed for the 2020/2021 and 2021/22 financial years, so bids for schemes that require on-going funding will need show how this can be secured without access to further CCIF funding.

We want to encourage a variety of bids for projects of all shapes and sizes in the communities served by SWR.  They must however demonstrate a link to the railway, although that need not necessarily be at a station as we know many communities without a railway station still benefit from the railway.  Any scheme that requires CCIF funding to close a gap where existing funding has already been secured are particularly welcomed.

Once bidding closes on 6th September 2019, each application will be assessed by a panel including representatives of Transport Focus, London Travelwatch and our Customer Panel.  Their shortlist will then be reviewed by my Executive team, before a final list of recommended schemes is put to the Department for Transport for their final approval by the end of December 2019.

We have designed the guidance book and application form to answer as many questions as possible, but if you do have any queries or need more information please contact our CCIF manager Mark Youngman on ccif@swrailway.com .  He will be happy to talk about any suggestions and to answer any questions you may have

Best wishes and good luck with the bid.

Andy Mellors

Managing Director

South Western Railway