Waste Carrier Registration (Free)

G Jillians (Basingstoke)
One of our members recently approached the site manager of a nearby building site to blag some of their discarded building materials. He was told that we could not take anything as they needed to have records of disposal for all the waste from the site. I know from talking to many other shedders that most builders are quite happy for us to take their waste material.

However, our member did a little investigating and found that as a volunteer based organisation we could actually register and get a free waste carrier certificate. So although this guy may be an exception, not only can we give him the documentation he needs we are legally allowed to carry waste. Whilst we all think a piece of wood is a potential bedside cabinet or similar someone else in authority might just think its rubbish.

Obviously you need to be sure you qualify for free registration but as I think we probably all do, I thought I would share the link to the Government website with you. The process is simple enough and once registration is confirmed you can download a certificate.

https://www.gov.uk/waste-carrier-or-broker-registration

Re: Waste Carrier Registration (Free)

SMS Network Coordinator
Administrator
Hi Garry,

Thank you for that useful tip, I will give it a try for the Portsmouth Men Shed.

Steve.
Stephen Redrup (SMSN Co-ordinator)

Re: Waste Carrier Registration (Free)

Roy Cadoux
Just applied for a free licence for Hayling Island Men's Shed, it's a very easy process.  The link given above doesn't work, if you hover over it you will see there is some other stuff at the end.  It should be
https://www.gov.uk/waste-carrier-or-broker-registration

Re: Waste Carrier Registration (Free)

Roy Cadoux
The correct link I just typed in above has also somehow got corrupted and doesn't work either.  Just type it into your browser instead of clicking on the link.