Scrubbers

chris nixon

One of our members has become involved with some local Scrubbers.

Hand made scrubs

"My wife Judy is very happy that she can use her skills to help protect people working on the frontline of the NHS. She says she’s a happy scrubber and will have completed 30 sets of scrubs within the next few days.".

The scrubs enable the NHS staff to wash and change their working outfit protecting themselves and patients. Many staff do not usually wear uniforms and normal channels of distribution in the NHS cannot cope with the demand for scrubs protective uniforms.

At last week's Zoom meeting we discussed whether there was a way that we could help such a worthy cause and the decision was made to make a donation of £100 to them. Unfortunately we cannot make such a donation from Shed funds as it would be illegal so we are asking our members to contribute via the Shed to this cause by making pledges now and passing the money to Chris H when we can get back together. In the meantime £100 which has been paid by one of the Trustees on our behalf. That's only about £2 each and each set of these RE-USEABLE scrubs cost about £8.00 but come on guys, let's make sure our pledges add up to much more than that!

The leader of the Scrubbers, Lin Gell, is coordinating over 200 volunteer seamstresses in Portsmouth and Southampton. So far the Team Scrubbers have made over 4000 sets of scrubs. These have been distributed to UHS, QA Hospital, Hospices, Gosport War Memorial Hospital, Community Carers i.e. mental health staff and Doctors Surgeries.

The money needed to pay for the materials such as fabric, thread, labels and tape has been donated by Individuals and community groups such as Gosportarians, Rotarians and many more and now including our Shed.

Local industry such as sail makers are helping where they can, for example by allowing the Scrubbers to use their tables to cut the material.

The local group is called Team Scrubbers serving the Southampton/Portsmouth area with scrubs. Facebook link to Team Scrubbers