(Solar powered) Portable power stations - anyone use one?

(Solar powered) Portable power stations - anyone use one?

ShirleyMensShed
Hi all,

We are looking into the possibility of buying a (solar panel charging) portable power station to provide some power in our shed until we get mains power installed. We would be using it mainly for charging batteries for power tools and possibly to power some temporary lighting.

Does anyone use/have experience of these, and any recommendations?

Andy.
Sent on behalf of Shirley Men’s Shed

Re: (Solar powered) Portable power stations - anyone use one?

SMS Network Coordinator
Hi Andy,

We looked at this several years ago for the Copnor Men's Shed (including wind generator).
When we looked at the realistic amount of power we could get versus the cost of the equipment we
decided it was a very poor return on investment.
We decided that it was only worth considering if there is no other alternative source of power.

It might be worth considering a more portable form of power such as a portable UPS
(Uninterruptible Power Supply) which could be recharged at home and transported to the shed.

Regards,

Steve Redrup.
Stephen Redrup (SMSN Co-ordinator)

Re: (Solar powered) Portable power stations - anyone use one?

ShirleyMensShed
Steve,

Thanks. The UPS is the type of thing we are looking at, but one that we can charge using a solar panel as well as main.