Membership Subs and Gift Aid

Ron Bowater (Romsey)
Hi Guys,

We in Romsey Shed would be very interested to know what other sheds have decided with regard to claiming Gift Aid on shed membership subs. Although the HMRC documentation says quite clearly that GA cannot be claimed on membership subs if the latter is used to directly provide services and facilities to members themselves, there does appear to be some ambiguities in the docs and 'wiggle room' that might allow GA to be claimed if certain conditions are satisfied.

Any information or thoughts on this will be most welcome.

Thanks
Ron Bowater

Re: Membership Subs and Gift Aid

Gerry Johnson
Hi Ron,

Gerry Johnson, Hayling Island Men's Shed.

We classify our membership fee as a 'membership donations' and that is how it appears on our annual accoints. We have been claiming gift aid every year without any problems. The membership fee is agreed at our AGM with the members knowing it is a donation and could, re financial difficulties, donate what they could afford. To date, all have paid the agreed amount.
Hope this helps.
Gerry

Re: Membership Subs and Gift Aid

Steve Badham
Hi, we at Colden Common have successfully claimed Gift Aid on our Membership Donations (not fee) for 4 years, without problems.
Steve Badham